Friday, May 23, 2014

Waiting, April 2014

The last time I wrote, snow was covering the field out my front windows.  Today I see calves romping across new green grass. The window is open and I can hear various birds calling back and forth. I observed honey bees on my crocuses yesterday. Spring has finally arrived!  In three to five weeks the bees I ordered will arrive.  I have put together my hive bodies.  Some I purchased new unassembled and others I borrowed from a friend. I had to do a lot of scraping (propolis is sticky stuff) and then put a torch to the insides of the boxes to decrease the risk of pest or disease transmission to the new bees. All the hive bodies, new or used, received a fresh coat of white paint (on the outside only!!).  I almost went for some colored hives, but there is time for that later. My beekeeping suits, gloves, tools and frames with foundation arrived yesterday.  The frames we purchased assembled. I ordered 100 frames (40 deeps and 60  medium supers).  Ten frames fit in each hive body/box. I felt it was worth the extra penny to have these already set to go!  Sorry, I do not have a picture of the frames.

Hive bodies ready to be painted. A fellow beekeeper let me borrow some and the two unpainted are new.





THE hives all ready to go. Top small box is a nucleus box.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment