Friday, March 20, 2015

Happy 1st day of Spring, 2015!

As if on cue, my crocuses opened today.  It is spring, amazing spring where everything is renewed and new life abounds everywhere.  I love it!  I think those of us that endure long winters of snow, ice, wind and subzero temperatures cherish it all the more. You can imagine my joy today when I bent down to inspect the crocuses and found honeybees scurrying around inside the cupped petals.  The cup or bowl like shape protects the bee from the wind so she can do her work.
 All three hives appear to be doing well.  I placed a pollen substitute patty on each hive on March 11 and continue to monitor the need for more sugar brick or pollen. I have left the tar paper wrap on for now as the temperatures are still dipping below freezing at night.

1st day of Spring, 2015.  Honeybees on Crocus. Wish I had planted more Crocus bulbs last fall.


Honeybee on Crocus.  Pollen!! March 20, 2015. West Michigan.

My youngest excited to be able to help now that she has a suit and pumped up about Spring and the Honeybees!

No comments:

Post a Comment