Sunday, May 10, 2015

May 9 Full Circle

It was a year ago, May 9, that I brought my first hive of bees home. I went into the fall with three hives and came out this spring with three. 100% overwintering success! This week I went back into the hives after notching frames last week and found queen cells. Those two hives were each split into 4 hives including the artificial swarm.  I currently have 3 hives with queens and 7 hives waiting to be checked at the end of May for new laying queens.  I have one more hive to split this week because it was notched later than the other two.
 2 Artificial swarms and 5 splits with queen cells

The 3 original hives. The tallest one in picture still needs to be split this week. The other 2 are splits with queen cells, queens should be emerging today.  Will check all the splits end of May for new laying On The Spot queens.

Honeybee on Grape Hyacinth in my yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment