Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Honeybee Forage

August already? I saw Goldenrod blooming today!! We could definitely use more rain. It has been pretty dry in West Michigan. From morning till dusk my honeybees are frequenting the bird bath for water.  We do have a pond nearby, but as my bird bath is only about fifty feet from the hives, it is convenient for them to tank up on water there.

I checked my queenless hive yesterday and found a queen cell where I notched.  Patience is now needed as I will have to wait to the end of August to check for a laying queen.  The other hives have beautiful brood patterns and are building up nicely.

I went to the Honey Festival in Frankenmuth, MI last Saturday. One of the vendors was selling plants for pollinators and  I purchased an Anise Hyssop plant. When I got home that night, I left it outside the garage. The next morning at 0830, the Honeybees had already found it.

They have also been working my Zinnias, Purple Cones, Japanese Anemone, Lemon head Sunflowers, pumpkins, squash and pickles.  Tomorrow I plan to sow about three pounds of Buckwheat seed. It should bloom early to mid September for the bees.
Honeybee on Japanese Anemone

Honeybees on Purple Cone Flower

Honeybee with pollen on white Zinnia

Honeybee on Anise Hyssop flower




Honeybee on Anise Hyssop


Water! At the bird bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment