Sunday, August 30, 2015

My Last OTS Queen of 2015



On August 27th I opened up the hive to see if I had a laying queen.  It was a start/split  from June 23 whose queen never returned after her mating flight.  I gave it a notched frame of brood on July 28. A week later I checked for queen cells and there were two.  I have been waiting since then. My patience was rewarded as I found eggs and a new OTS queen.  This start will overwinter in a single deep.
New post soltice OTS queen!
Another OTS Queen! On The Spot Queen Rearing by Mel Disselkoen.


Goldenrod hanging down near hive entrances. These girls don't have to travel far from their front porch to find some nectar and pollen.

These July splits/starts with new OTS Queens have built up incredibly fast. They have also had to draw out many frames of comb as each split had only 3-4 drawn frames to begin with.
Drawing out new comb, so beautiful clean and white.  I like using the black foundation as it makes the eggs and larva easier to see.










No comments:

Post a Comment