Wednesday, June 18, 2014

June 15 Adding Supers

Checked in on three of the hives today. The hive with the original queen is doing very well. Full frames of brood and 90% of the foundation frames drawn out. In the pictures you can see what a frame looks like before it is put in the hive and in the other picture all the work the bees have done.

This  is a frame of foundation rubbed with beeswax before giving it to the bees.

This is the frame of foundation after the bees have had it for a few weeks! Full of capped brood and honey.


Because the bees have filled almost all the frames it is time to put on a new box ( a super) with new frames for the bees to work. I used another deep box.  When placing the second box, I pulled a frame of brood/honey out of the bottom and placed it in the top box to entice the bees to come up to the top. I also replaced the frame I took with a new frame of foundation.


In checking the medium box (2nd hive), I found the many frames of capped brood also. This hive also received a super. However, because this box is an odd size medium, I placed a deep beneath it. I'm hoping to draw the queen down into the lower box and use the medium box for honey.  I took a frame of honey/pollen from the original deep box (the stronger of my two starts) and put it in the middle surrounded by empty frame of foundation. Again, to entice the bees this time to move down. While doing this I was able to check into this start that was supposed to be checked on the 17th for a laying queen. I did find eggs  on one frame of  foundation that had not yet been drawn out. I did not see the queen.  As I am new, I obviously missed her.  My only great fear is that when I removed the frame of honey/pollen from this start, I may have accidentally moved the new queen too. I checked it over multiple times for her, but know it's possible that I missed her. I did shake the bees from that frame back down into their hive so hopefully I did not move the queen. That would be hazardous as then there would be two queens in one hive and no queen in the other.  Not good.  We shall see.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment