Friday, June 20, 2014

June 18 Going Somewhere?

I've read a lot about honeybees, but my hands on experience with them is a meager six weeks.  When I walked out to visualize the hives, which I probably do at least 2 times a day (maybe obsessive), I laid eyes on a frightening sight. I normally see bees happily going in and out carrying pollen, but this stormy mid morning it seemed all the bees from one of the starts (the original deep box) were congregating on the front of the box. Solid across and at least an inch thick.  Not good. Fearing they were going to swarm, I needed to find more frames and add a super.  The box on top in the picture only had syrup in it for them.  Of course, I was out of frames so I hightailed it down the highway at speeds of 80 mph to a fellow beekeeper to get some frames.  Once frames were in my possession, I returned home at the same rate of speed and promptly placed a super on that hive. I was also traveling quickly to try and make it home before the next downpour and lightening strike!  Amidst thundering clouds above, I stood and watched the front of the box. The bees began entering the hive and I breathed a sigh of relief. I did not think this hive would swarm as they still had at least four frames of foundation that were not completely drawn out. I wouldn't think they were congested. Perhaps with the new queen (remember I found eggs in there 3 days prior) starting to lay, the frames she had to work with were full of honey and they felt there wasn't enough room because the other frames hadn't been draw out yet?  I really don't know. I do know however that this start was the stronger one because it is the one that has been left on the original location.  All returning bees or field force, who had been missing in action when we changed things up, returned to this box.  Putting the super on seemed to do the trick as one hour later, there were no bees clinging to the outside of the box and haven't been now for the last two days.  They are now once again happily going to and fro, busy as bees can be.   Lesson learned? Keep extra foundation and equipment around and ready to be used at a moments notice.
Yikes.  This is after some of the bees had already begun reentering the hive.

No comments:

Post a Comment