Thursday, June 12, 2014

She's Laying!

June 11, 2014
I feel like a proud Bee Grandma tonight!  Yes, I probably have lost it, but I'm enjoying myself in the process. I checked the hive tonight that had been notched on May 9.  For the last few days I've noticed those bees bringing in a lot more pollen than what they had been.  This was a good sign as baby bees or brood need to be fed.  The date for checking this hive for a laying queen was around June 7. The weather has been rainy the last few days so I waited till tonight.  I did not lay eyes on  this new queen but know she is there by the evidence she left.  Eggs and uncapped larvae! Not just a few here and there, but frames full!  OTS, On the Spot Queen Rearing (Mel Disselkoen) really works!  I am a novice beekeeper and have made a successful split with a new OTS queen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment